Wednesday 2 April 2014

Coconut Cupcakes

I've just started exam revision properly, and all I can think about is cooking lovely things! Food is such a distraction for me! I recently made some pretty good gluten- and dairy-free coconut cupcakes, so I thought I'd post the recipe on here, as a little break from my hard work...


Ingredients

100g dairy free 'butter' (I used Pure)
110g caster sugar
2 medium eggs, separated
300g coconut milk
75g desiccated coconut
70g gluten-free plain flour (I used Dove's Farm)
90g ground almonds
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1/2 tsp xantham gum
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda


Method

Preheat the oven to 170°C and prepare a muffin tin of paper cases.

  1. Beat the 'butter' and about 2/3 of the sugar until creamy. Add the egg yolks, then stir in the desiccated coconut and coconut milk.
  2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda
  3. In another separate, very clean bowl, whisk the egg whites and gradually add the remaining 1/3 of the sugar. Whisk until thick and meringue-like.
  4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet coconut mixture and mix until just almost combined
  5. Very gently fold in the egg-white with a metal spoon, being careful not to beat out the air. (It may be easier to mix in just 1 spoonful of egg white initially, to loosen the mixture.)
  6. As soon as the mixture is combined, spoon it into the paper cases and bake until golden on top, about 15 minutes 
  7. Keep an eye on them - there's nothing worse than proudly serving up dry and over-cooked gluten-free cakes!
To serve
These cakes turned out nice and moist, so they didn't really need any frosting... But frosting hasn't actually got much to do with 'need', has it? So I iced half of them with rich chocolate butter-cream and just dusted the other half with icing sugar. Delicious!

If you decide to try out this recipe, I'd love to know what you think of them!


Maia

2 comments:

  1. I love coconut flavoured cakes <3 xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! They can make any day seem brighter and better! xx

      Delete