Friday 18 April 2014

Chunky Chocolate, Banana and PB Muffins

This was bit of an experiment that I hoped would turn out fluffy little cupcakes - but the ripe banana, thick peanut butter, plus a generous helping of chocolate pieces weighed down the cake-mix, and they ended up being gorgeously chunky little muffins. 

Because of their moist muffin-osity, packed with all the 'good-for-you' deliciousness of banana and peanut butter, I think you could just about get away (as I did!) with serving these up for brunch on a lazy weekend.



I couldn't resist topping a few of mine with peanut butter and chocolate frosting and banana chips - possibly a bit too rich for breakfast, but they were (as Mary Berry might say) absolutely scrummy! 


Ingredients:

125g gluten free plain flour 
4 heaped tbsp (I had ~70g in total) soft light brown sugar 
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
30g Pure or other dairy free 'butter'
1 egg, separated
1 banana, mashed
85g dark chocolate, cut into very small (chocolate drop-size) pieces 


Method:

  1. Combine the flour and baking powder.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar, then mix in the egg yolk, mashed banana and peanut butter.
  3. Using an electric mixer, whisk the egg white in another separate bowl until it forms foamy peaks.
  4. Tip the flour and baking powder into the bowl of wet ingredients (the buttery banana mixture) and mix until almost combined. Sprinkle in the chocolate pieces as you go, so they're evenly distributed throughout.
  5. Gently fold in the egg white.
  6. Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake at 170°C for 12-15minutes, or until golden brown on top. 

They're delicious when eaten warm from the oven, sprinkled with a little cinnamon and icing sugar - or if you can wait for them to cool completely, you could ice them with chocolate & PB butter-cream. Definitely decadent!


In case anybody is wondering,  I didn't make two batches - the picture with flowery plate was taken straight after baking at my student flat (with some weirdly vivid camera setting) & the others are when I took a couple of muffins back to my parents' house.

Maia

2 comments:

  1. It is such an awful mistake to stop by your blog at night... These photos are going to be the death of me!!! That just looks absolutely amazing and so delicious. I am about to lick my screen, lol.

    - - THUY
    lollithuy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha that made me laugh! Thank you though - I'm pleased you like the look of them! They were really yummy! x

      Delete